Thursday, February 15, 2007

A Special Day - 31.1.2007

In my previous blog, I mentioned that a life changing event happened to me. You must be wondering by now what exactly is this life changing event?

31.1.2007 is actually the day that I proposed to gnelia to be my beloved GF.

Several weeks before 31.1.2007, I've already decided to propose to gnelia; after much thought and prayer. I've even bought a small but meaningful gift that I would give to her during my proposal. The most difficult part of proposing is to find the suitable time and date. I was contemplating on this for a while, until a God-sent opportunity arised.

Gnelia was graduating from her Dale Carnegie course on 31.1.2007, and the next day's a public holiday - Thaipusam. Also, I recalled that gnelia mentioned that her buddy's husband once recommended that guys should do important things on easy to remember dates, so that when their GF asked many years later, they would be able to answer. Example, "Honey... When's our first wedding anniversary", or "Darling... Do you still remember when you proposed to me?" Failing which, there might be dire consequences. I heeded the advice, and thought that 31.1.2007 is simply perfect.

I took 2 days of leave (Wed and Fri) so that I can travel back earlier to Klang to attend gnelia's DC graduation.

On 31.1.2007, I travelled to Wisma UOA2 , near Petronas Twin Tower. The graduation was supposed to start at 7pm. However, because I was so unfamiliar with KL roads, I left around 3:30pm, thinking that even if I got lost, I would have sufficient time to find my way to Wisma UOA2. Before that, I was using Google Earth to try to find my way to Wisma UOA2. I also printed out maps, asked for directions from my sis, etc. I wanted to minimize the risk of me losing my way helplessly in KL on such an important day...

Thank God, everything went smoothly - traffic was pretty smooth, and I managed to find UOA2, and parked my car by 4:30pm. Now that I've reached UOA2 2.5 hours earlier, I decided to explore the UOA2 building and its surroundings. I wandered all over UOA2, and crossed over to Crowne Plaza Hotel. All this while, trying to find a suitable place to propose to gnelia. After much walking, I pretty much convinced myself that Crowne Plaza had the best setting. Thereafter, I walked a little more until gnelia called me around 6pm, while I was near Starbucks/Aquarious.

She told me that she had a short break, and wanted to grab something to eat. We walked over to KLCC and bought Aunt Anne's pretzel. She had Almond, while I had cheese, and a lemonade. After that we parted again, and I explored a little bit more (went to Novotell) before going up to UOA2, to the DC Training Center.

The moment I walked into the class, ML greeted me BY NAME, and shook my hand. JC also greeted me BY NAME. I was quite surprised as to how they got to know my name without me telling them. Must be gnelia... =P (Later I found out that it wasn't her either, might be her coursemate). Anyway, I took a seat, and observed the class being conducted by JC. I found that JC's a pretty good instructor, his English's fluent, clear, easy to understand, and he introduced humor quite frequently, and at the right time; making the class lively, and interesting.

I think I learned something about communication and leadership skills too by just being an observer. There're several major "drivers" that they talked about, let's see if I can still remember... 1) The Rock = Confidence, 2) Crackling Teeth = Communication, 3) Conductor = Leadership, 4) Book = Networking, 5) Panadol = Stress Management, 6) Fireworks = Enthusiasm/Passion.

When I joined, JC was still going through the course content with the DC students. Once that was done, we had a "makan" session before proceeding to the graduation. The graduation wasn't as straight forward as I thought. All the students had to give like a 5 min talk on what they'd learned about the course, and what they envisioned doing in 2007. The session was interesting, but long. By the time everyone took their turn, it was already 9pm. I was a little worried that it'd be too late for the proposal by the time the graduation ended; I really wanted to propose on 31.1.2007 in Crowne Plaza.

Good thing the whole graduation ceremony ended around 10:30pm. By then, I was quite worried, because there's only 1.5 hours till midnight. Gnelia wanted to bring me to Murni in Damansara for supper. Due to the lack of time, I changed my mind to propose in Murni. We travelled to Murni from KLCC, and reached there around 11:30pm. To my horror, the place's soOoOo..... PACKED! How am I supposed to propose to her in such an environment? Gnelia suggested that we sit inside the shop, where there're some seats. I looked, and wasn't amused at all - stuffy, wet, noisy, with people walking back and forth.

I told gnelia that I've something for her, and really want to give it to her before midnight. So I whisked her back to the car, switched on the lights, presented her the gift, and proposed to her. The answer that I got was a gentle yet convincing YES!

I was so happy and relieved then! We didn't end up having our supper in Murni that day. We had it in a nearby restaurant instead.

31.1.2007 was truly a special day instead. My life has changed because I've proposed and received the affirmation from my life's partner. Life would never be the same again... 31.1.2007 was also the day I gently held the hand of my GF, and I pray that I'll never ever have to let go.

6 Comments:

Blogger stupidcupid said...

ya..what took you such a long time to propose??!!
indeed, really grateful and thankful to our Father in Heaven, for HIS wonderful plans in our life..
thanks for loving me..
31.1.07 is also a special day for me..and i believe, there will be more special days in future..
muaks

7:55 AM  
Blogger stupidcupid said...

oh ya dear, u had a typo in paragraph 11, the date..please amend..haha

7:56 AM  
Blogger Mark Lee said...

Good catch dear. I've already amended. =P Thanks for pointing it out.

10:14 AM  
Blogger stupidcupid said...

you are most welcome!

4:49 PM  
Blogger Ai Hoi said...

hehe now i hv a better picture of the whole story..i think 1/2/07 is a good date as well..2/2/07 lagi best..:p

11:46 PM  
Blogger Darthbaboon said...

Congratulations!!!! A little late to say this online but you know la I've already wished you guys in real life. ;p

5:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home